Mari near Tariqabad. The Majestic Clock Tower of Lyallpur
was constructed out of the funds raised by the Sikh
Zamindars who collected it at a rate of Rs.18.00 per
square of land. The fund thus raised was handed over
to the Municipal Committee which got it completed. In
1902, the population of the town had exceeded 4,000.
A considerable number of houses and shops to cater to
the ordinary needs of the population had been constructed.
In 1903, decision to have an agricultural college was
made. In the very next year, 1904, the new district
of Lyallpur was constituted comprising of Tehsils of
Lyallpur, Samundri and Toba Tek Singh with a subtehsil
at Jaranwala which later turned into a full fledged
Tehsil. In 1906, the District Headquarters began to
function at Lyallpur and all the bazars and mohallas
within the bounds of circular road were nearing completion
and the city began to spread outside the circular road.
The Town Committee which had come into being in 1904,
was upgraded as Municipal Committee in 1909 and Deputy
Commissioner was declared to be the lst Chairman. In
1916, the grain market saw its shops surging with customers.
In the same year the civil Hospital was expanded. With
the advent of the World War II, the political awakening
sprinkled its influence over the city. Revolutionary
meetings were held. Fiery speeches were made. Slogans
were written on the walls.
In 1943, Quaid-i-Azam Mohammed Ali Jinnah came to
Lyallpur and addressed a gathering of over 2 million
in the Dhobi Ghat Ground. When Pakistan was accepted
as an independent unit, the Muslims of Lyallpur held
special prayers and distributed sweets and food among
the poor on March 3, 1947.
The city grew into a strong industrial and agricultural
centre and on the independence of Pakistan it emerged
as a major urban area of the country. After independence,
the city of Lyallpur marched rapidly on the path of
progress. The city which had so far been known for
its grain market, became a great commercial and industrial
centre. The population of the city which in 1901 hardly
touched the figure of a few thousands, soared up to
millions. Medical and educational level was lifted
up. In 1977, the name of the city was changed to Faisalabad,
after the name of the late king of Saudi Arabia, Shah
Faisal-bin-Abdul Aziz. In 1985, the city was upgraded
as a division with the districts of Faisalabad, Jhang
and Toba Tek Singh.